Think you’re drinking enough water? Think again! Did you know that 75% of Americans are chronically dehydrated. That means about 1 out of every 2 people you walk past on the street is not getting enough fluids. Yeah, we're pointing at you!
So although we might think we're drinking enough water, chances are... we’re not. Our bodies are made up of around 60% water, so it’s critical to be drinking enough each day. The U.S. The National Academies of Sciences, Engineering, and Medicine determined that adequate fluid intake is about 15.5 cups of fluid for men, and 11.5 cups of fluids a day for women. And something else that most Americans fail to realize is that a portion of our water intake comes from food! Yep that's right, 80% of hydration does come from water. But fruits and vegetables are an abundant source of hydration as well! So, drink your water and eat your veggies, Zigii fam!
Let's talk facts:
1. Hydration is key to a well regulated digestive system.
- Dehydration can lead to digestive problems such as an overly acidic stomach which increases the risk of heartburn and stomach ulcers. It also ensures that with enough water, our bowels are working properly.
2. Dehydration is a common risk factor for kidney stones.
- Being chronically dehydrated is a factor in 20% of kidney stone cases. Increased water intake dilutes the substances in urine that can lead to kidney stones. Kidney stones can greatly damage our kidneys and lead to further complications if not treated quickly. It’s recommended to drink at least 3 quarts of water a day to help fight this!
3. Healthy Skin and Beauty
- When we don’t drink enough water, our skin becomes dry, itchy, and overall dull looking. The complexion and tone of your skin may be uneven. It also can become more vulnerable to skin disorders and premature wrinkling. Moral of the story, drink plenty of water for glowing skin!
4. Water helps flush toxins from our bodies.
- If our kidneys don’t have enough water (depending on our height, weight, and sex) to process metabolic waste, then they don’t operate well. If you intake the right amount of water each day your body will naturally flush these toxins out!
5. Dehydration can affect cognitive function.
- Studies have shown that “if your hydration levels are even 3% off of where they should be, you can experience noticeable impairment. Short term memory, visual perception, and motor ability all became significantly impaired in those who were dehydrated.” It’s important not only for our body, but also for our brains, to be drinking enough water!
Our tips for you:
1. Make hydration fun!
- Think of a fun water bottle like you'd think of cute workout clothes. If you like your workout clothes you’ll be way more likely to workout and show them off. The same goes for the water bottle! Get one you think is cute, and you’ll be more inclined to use it!
2. If you have trouble hydrating, start with simple changes.
- A lot of people struggle with remembering to hydrate, that's why we recommend starting with a glass of water with and between every meal, this is a small change but a great way to start upping your water intake!
3. Add some flavor!
- A cool thing that you can do if you find water too bland is to add some flavoring to it. We like to add lemon or use an infuser water bottle and add fruits like strawberries, cucumbers, and lime for a refreshing and tasty drink.
4. Keep track.
- One thing to make sure when you’re trying to drink enough water is to keep track of it throughout the day. You can do this through water tracking apps, or by buying a water bottle that has markers on it!
5. Drink out of a straw.
- This tip may sound silly, but we swear drinking water out of a straw is a game changer! When you have a straw in your drink you will be more inclined to drink water because it takes away the action of actually picking the bottle up, you can easily sip. Plus you can get higher amounts of water in at a time through a straw! So, grab your reusable straws and start sippin'.
6. Have a big glass of water sitting by your bed.
- This tip has found to be so useful to everyone on the Zigii team! Drinking water on an empty stomach can aid digestion and help remove toxins from your bottle. So, drinking water in the morning can be a great way to wake yourself up and kickstart your metabolism!
- Leaving a big glass of water by your bed before you go to sleep is so convenient because you can roll over and drink it right away! Also, always remember to hydrate before you caffeinate in the AM as caffeine can dehydrate the body.
Products We Recommend:
1. Beam Hydration Packets
- One of our favorite products to aid hydration are the Beam electrolyte powders. There’s three different ones:
- Recovery: for when you had a tough workout or a long day, this powder aids in recovery of muscles and increased hydration
- Performance: for a boost of energy before working out or an excursion that you need a little extra oomph! Take before for hydrating the body before activities.
- Balance: for everyday hydration. Take in the morning to refresh and kickstart your body for the day
2. Chlorophyll Drops
- Chlorophyll is the vibrant green pigment found in plants and is essential in plant survival and photosynthesis. When added to water, these Chlorophyll Drops can further hydrate the body and provide a natural boost of energy while detoxing the body.
3. Chlorophyll Water
- Chlorophyll Water can be an amazing source of hydration as it combines water and chlorophyll for a refreshing and rejuvenating drink! With a refreshing blend of mint, lemon, Vitamin A, B12, C, and D, this drink is amazing for you.
- The Flightfud Inflight Elixirs are essential for any upcoming travel plans you have! We all know that airplanes can dehydrate us, especially our skin. So not only is it important to be drinking water, but also to be ingesting vitamins and minerals so your body can recover from the flight. It contains coconut water crystals to enhance hydration, Camu Camu powder to boost immunity, chlorella to support exposure to cosmic radiation, papaya powder to improve digestion, goji berry powder to improve circulation, and tart cherry powder to manage jet lag. Safe to say, this stuff is a miracle while traveling!
Stay safe, stay healthy, and stay hydrated Zigii Fam!
- The Zigii Team 🌿